Slashster is an Open Source PHP / Mysql Friend of a Friend implementation. Many sites such as Orkut, Friendster, Tribes, and others are community based sites that rely on a “Network of Friends” in order to interface with others within this network.
· Linux / Unix server
· Apache Server (Development is done on 2.x)
· PHP 4.3.0 or higher
· MySQL 4.0 or higher
· GD library 2 or higher (built into php)
· Optional: OpenSSL extension built into php (For Encrypted Messages)
1) Untar the source and change directory into it:
$ tar xzf slashster-xx.xx.tar.gz
$ cd slashster
2) Go into the setup directory.
$ cd setup
3) Run the file configure to set up permissions on the files
4) Import the database. You will need to set up mysql permissions manually for this sort of thing.
$ mysql -u -p < slashster.sql
Logically, where is your database login, is your database password, and is your database name.
5) Edit your configuration for Slashster
6) Start the services
Visit Mark El-Wakil to download latest version.